Show me an example My title page contents The Allergic Life: Good Job, Schools!

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Good Job, Schools!

The public school system is finally starting to get up to speed on allergies. Especially food allergies. I was speaking with a local school teacher the other day. She was telling me how she motivates her students by providing nutritious snacks once they have earned it through good behavior. Her current snack was sliced apples and caramel dip. I told her how I would have been allergic to everything but the apples when I was a student. She admitted that to give food in the class room she does have to check to see if any of her students have food allergies and to make alternate arrangements if a student is allergic. They also have a "Peanut" table in the cafeteria that students allergic to peanuts have to sit at to avoid an accidental allergic reaction to occur. Some schools in the district are completely peanut free.

I feel very lucky that my allergic reaction was emotional and behavioral. I can't imagine the level of fear that must occur when your breathing becomes difficult or stops because of an allergic reaction. So I am thrilled to hear that the public schools are becoming better about acknowledging the very real danger that simple foods can pose.

Update on Nora:

She is doing fantastic. Her last few skin reactions have been minor and quickly healed. She hasn't had any food reactions for a while now, but we have also been controlling the food in the house pretty strictly. When we need to buy Benedryl or Tylenol we always buy the dye free. We don't buy juices with dye in them and even our cereal is dye free. We need to try oranges again soon since that seemed to be a trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment